Most students who raise travel funds use our Sponsorship Program, for the simple reason that people love to sponsor students! We write the letters asking potential donors to sponsor the work you’ll be doing while traveling with ISL–YOU mail them to family, friends and service organizations.
THIS PROGRAM WORKS! A majority of charitable international work is accomplished today by involving others. Don’t deny your friends, family, and neighbors the opportunity to get involved–they’re looking for the opportunity! Here’s how it works:
- Fill out and sign the Sponsorship Agreement on the GSM (Good Samaritan Missions) website (aboutgsm.org).
- Depending on the information you give to us on the agreement, GSM will email you a PDF letter, mailing labels, and complete instructions. The letter describes the project you’ll be doing and invites people to sponsor you. You’re not asking for money – GSM is asking for sponsorships. People respond very well to this letter, because so many today want to help people in third world countries, but don’t know how. This gives them a welcome opportunity to get involved through you and to do so in a completely safe and accountable manner. You can email or mail the letter to friends, family, neighbors, churches or synagogues, local service clubs, etc., after adding a short personal note to each letter.
- You can email or mail the letter to friends, family, neighbors, churches or synagogues, local service clubs, etc., after adding a short personal note to each letter.
- If you choose to mail the letter please use the labels and attach them to a small envelope and include it in your letter for your sponsors to use for mailing in donations to GSM.
- Sponsors can donate online at www.aboutgsm.org, or mail in donations with the envelopes you provide. All donations are credited to your account. As with all non-profits, Good Samaritan Missions (our parent org) retains a percentage for office overhead, project supplies, and the medications distributed by our ISL teams. Currently, students receive 85% of the donations. When it comes time to pay your final payment, you will receive an invoice for the balance due less GSM donations. Sponsorship funds can be donated up to 45 days after you return home. Funds received after that date will not be credited to the student’s account. If you have a refund due please contact GSM with a request for the refund. Give your name, trip dates, and destination to make finding your records easier.